Friday, May 22, 2015

Tests and Trials

Tonight, I listened to many songs, a couple of which were "How Great Thou Art" and "Sweetly Broken," the latter by Jeremy Riddle (see the lyrics below).

"At the cross You beckon me. You draw me gently to my knees, and I am lost for words, so lost in love. I'm sweetly broken, wholly surrendered."

"You've called me out of death. You've called me into life. I was under Your wrath; now, through the cross, I"m reconciled."

The beginning Scripture tonight comes from Genesis 22:9-12:

"When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, 'Abraham! Abraham!' 'Here I am,' he replied. 'Do not lay a hand on the boy,' He said. 'Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from Me your son, your only son." (NIV)

Tests are given to measure many things, such as aptitude, memorization, and knowledge retained. Leaders also experience different kinds of tests, those that measure their true ability and level of commitment.

God tests us to see if we will trust Him. We must learn to always have faith in the Lord, through good times and bad.

Abraham's faith was tested when God told him to sacrifice Isaac. When Abraham followed through, God knew He could trust and use him.

Stay strong, faithful, and true during your tests. Don't cheat or try shortcuts that will result in poor quality work or show poor judgment. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6, NIV)

"Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." Ephesians 6:13 (NIV)

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9 (NIV)

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him." James 1:12 (NIV)

God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment