Tuesday, May 12, 2015

By Your Side

I began tonight's devotion with the song, "By Your Side," by Tenth Avenue North. Many times when we listen to Christian music, we are praising God. In church, it is generally called Praise and Worship, where we praise and worship Him. However, there are some songs where God is talking to His children. In those times, we need to stop and listen to Him.

"Why are you looking for love? Why are you still searching, as if I'm not enough? To where will you go, child? Tell Me, where will you run? To where will you run?"

"I'll be by your side wherever you fall; in the dead of night, whenever you call. And please don't fight these hands that are holding you. My hands are holding you."

"Look at these hands and My side. They swallowed the grave on that night, when I drank the world's sin so I could carry you in and give you life."

"Cause I, yeah I love you! I want you to know that I, yeah I love you! I'll never let you go!"

Let those lyrics resonate as we go into the scripture and discussion for tonight. Take a look at Proverbs 29:1: "A man who remains stiff-necked after many rebukes will suddenly be destroyed--without remedy." (NIV)

At first, this may seem like a strange verse to tie into the message. However, if you think about it, it matches. We must respond to rebuke and change our ways. If we repent, He is faithful to forgive us. He will draw near to us if we draw near to Him. Take the above verse as a warning, not as a pattern to follow.

As John Maxwell notes, "Leaders need to remember that they influence many others beyond themselves; they never fall in a vacuum."

As leaders, we are in the spotlight. That doesn't mean we will always have a performance that leads to a standing ovation. In fact, there may be times where all we can hear is the sound of crickets. It is in those moments where a leader's character comes to light.

There will be times when we fall. It's not about how you fall, but how you get up. Pastor Jon Robertson said that during a recent service. Your strength in those times should come from God. Seek Him! He will be by your side.

Character is the key word in all of this. Your character determines what happens in those low moments. What will you do? Find strength in God! We aren't always strong enough, but He is!

"For the Lord your God goes with you. He will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6b (NIV)

"I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 (NKJV)

"'My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of My hand. My Father, Who has given them to Me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of My Father's hand. I and the Father are one." John 10:27-30 (NIV)

Rest assured that He is with you! Look to him in times of trouble. Pick yourself up, look to Him for guidance, and keep moving forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment