Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Discipline, Discipline, Discipline

Tonight, I began worship time with the song, "You Are God Alone," by Phillips, Craig, & Dean. I know that I have used this song to begin many devotional entries, but it holds powerful truths that we should meditate on.

"You are not a God created by human hands. You are not a God dependent on any mortal man. You are not a God in need of anything we can give. By Your plan, that's just the way it is."

"You are God alone! From before time began, You were on Your throne; You were God alone. And right now, in the good times and bad, You are on Your throne. You are God alone!"

"Unchangeable, unshakable, unstoppable; that's what You are."

Scripture for tonight comes from Matthew 7:13-14: "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (NIV)

As a leader, you must be disciplined enough to choose the right path, whether easy or difficult, rather than the shortcut. In the end, your hard work will result in reward. Follow the narrow path.

"Effective leaders recognize that their emotional reactions are their responsibility." --John Maxwell

Don't get too upset or angry at something right after it happens. Try to keep a level head. I know how it feels and how hard it is to do that, because I have been known to have a temper and regret my actions thereafter.

"Disciplined people maximize the use of their time." --John Maxwell

It helps to make a schedule of what you need to do each day/week. I found that out in my undergraduate studies. I used a dry erase board to keep track of my homework and extra-curricular activities. I highly recommend this method, if you will keep up with it. You may find it easier to use a planner. I myself found that I did not keep up with them after awhile. Whatever the case, find a way that works for you to keep your schedule organized, student or not.

Tonight's reflection question asks, "In what area can you improve your self-discipline?" This question is one that may take some time to answer. Be honest with yourself and work on what you find out. If you find great difficulty answering it, pray about it and ask God to reveal to you the area(s) you need to work on. Then try to fix where your mistakes are. With His help, you can do it!

God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment