Sunday, May 10, 2015

It's Not a Solo Endeavor

The song "Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)," by Hillsong United, gives some good pointers about turning to God for strength and direction while stepping out in faith.

"You call me out upon the water, the great unknown, where feet may fail. And there I find You in the mystery. In oceans deep, my faith will stand."

"I will call upon Your Name and keep my eyes above the waves. My soul will rest in Your embrace, for I am Yours and You are mine."

"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders. Let me walk upon the waters wherever You would call me. Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander, and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior."

Leaders cannot lead on their own. They must first rely on God, as David did.

"And David became more and more powerful, because the Lord Almighty was with him." 1 Chronicles 11:9 (NIV)

The Bible also describes David as a man after God's own heart (see Acts 13:22). He sought God first and foremost. From there, God helped him gather individuals who would benefit David in his leadership endeavors.

"These were the chiefs of David's mighty men--they, together with all Israel, gave his kingship strong support to extend it over the whole land, as the Lord had promised." 1 Chronicles 11:10 (NIV)

David exemplified wise leadership as he sought the lord and his direction. Therefore, God placed others around him who could complement his abilities. An individual cannot lead by himself or herself. It's not a one-man show. To lead effectively, you must realize this and seek out talents and abilities--in others--that you do not possess. It takes a team.

Many, if not most, corporations have boards of directors. Note the plural of "directors." It takes a team working cohesively together to lead well and to succeed. There may be an individual with the "highest position," so to speak, but he or she cannot succeed alone.

According to John Maxwell, there are four key points that can help you create an effective inner circle:
1. Build a strong inner circle before you need it.
2. Attract people with varied gifts.
3. Engender loyalty.
4. Delegate responsibility based on ability.

Consider the question, "How can these four points help you create or improve your own inner circle?"

Be prepared. Gather people together who you can work well with as a cohesive group. Build up the team so that you are ready when various situations arise.

Play off of each other's strengths and counter your team members' weaknesses.

Build relationships based on trust and respect. Gather the individuals who fit those characteristics and develop together, building loyalty.

Delegating responsibility goes back to playing off of one another's strengths. Know your team. You cannot do everything alone. Delegate tasks to individuals who will excel at them and build their skills simultaneously.

I leave you with a Scripture reference to back this up. "Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:12 (NIV) Ponder that as you create a team to help you lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment