Thursday, May 28, 2015

Listening Skills

I began tonight's devotion with the song, "Let It Go," by Tenth Avenue North. This song holds a valuable truth:

"You say let it go! You say let it go! You say life is waiting for the ones who lose control. You say You will be everything I need. You say if I lose my life, it's then I'll find my soul. You say let it go."

If something is bothering you, give it to God. Here is one of my favorite poems:

As children bring their broken toys with tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God because He was my friend.
But then instead of leaving Him in peace to work alone,
I hung around and tried to help with ways that were my own.
At last I snatched them back and cried, "How can you be so slow?"
"My child," He said, "What could I do? You never did let go."

Scripture for tonight comes from 2 Kings 5:11: "But Naaman went away angry and said, 'I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the Name of the Lord his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy." (NIV)

Naaman was stubborn and thus suffered more than he would have if he had followed Elisha's instructions the first time. We can learn from this. If we ask advice from others, we should not be quick to dismiss the recommendation before giving it some thought.

God puts people in our paths for a reason. We should listen to the advice of those we know we can trust. God may be using them to guide us!

Tonight's question is: "How teachable do you allow yourself to be?"

Be honest with yourself. If this is something that you struggle with, as I do at times, pray to God and ask Him to help you work on that part of your life. Then work at it as you let Him guide you!

God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment