Thursday, June 4, 2015

Confrontation

I listened to the song, "Your Grace is Enough," by Matt Maher, as I began my devotional time tonight.

"Great is Your faithfulness oh God. You wrestle with the sinner's restless heart. You lead us by still waters and to Your mercy and nothing can keep us apart. So remember Your people, remember Your children, remember Your promise, oh God. Your grace is enough!" Rely on Him, because He says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9, NIV)

Scripture for tonight comes from Acts 26:1a-3: "So Paul motioned with his and and began his defense: 'King Agrippa, I consider myself fortunate to stand before you today as I make my defense against all the accusations of the Jews, and especially so because you are well acquainted with all the Jewish customs and controversies. Therefore, I beg you to listen to me." (NIV)

Take special note of how Paul opens his speech and defense in the presence of Agrippa. Maxwell describes eight specific strategies Paul puts into place (each is a direct quote):

He appeared relaxed, yet used animated gestures.
He humbly thanked the king for allowing him to speak.
He affirmed the king's knowledge and expertise.
He identified with their opposition to the life he now embraced.
He described his motives as pure and constructive.
He explained that his obedience to God caused his trouble.
He challenged them with reasonable and verifiable facts.
He pled with them to obey.

Paul uses specific tactics to defend himself. Those concepts can be applied to our lives, especially in the area of speaking.

Ponder this question: "Using the observations above, how can you improve your speaking ability?"

Look to God for help and guidance. Then, listen! Don't be afraid to act and step out in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment